As we continue our series on dehumidifiers, we begin to look at the types of dehumidifiers available. Removing the moisture from the air in your home has many benefits for your health and your home. Allergy sufferers benefit from reduced humidity in the home. Reducing the humidity in the home helps reduce the presence of mold, mildew, dust and dust mites. The presence of mold in homes with young children has been linked to cases of asthma and other respiratory illnesses. By controlling the humidity in your home, you significantly reduce the likelihood of exposure to these troublesome molds and mildews.
When it comes to selecting the right dehumidifier for your home, it is important to know which options are valuable to homeowners and what types of dehumidifiers are available. The easiest way to classify dehumidifiers is by the way they work. These are the most common classes of dehumidifiers. If you'd like to learn about air conditioner installation in Wake Forest NC before the summer hits, call Choice HVAC!
Dehumidifiers Home Options
- Portable Dehumidifiers - The most familiar unit to homeowners is the portable dehumidifier. These models are ideal for homes that only require humidity control for a small space. Key features to consider on these models are the length of the power cord and whether or not it has a built-in humidistat. Choose a digital humidistat if possible, this will help you ensure a more accurate reading of your room's humidity.
- Heat Pump Dehumidifier - These units tend to run a little louder than the other types of units. However, they are very effective at removing humidity from larger spaces. Much like a heat pump heat system, this dehumidifier relies on a heat pump, a fan, and heat exchange coils to rid the air of unnecessary moisture.
- Whole-Home Dehumidifiers - Knowing the size you need to remove the humidity throughout your home is crucial when choosing this type of dehumidifier. If your home falls in between sizes, experts recommend going up to the next size. You want to ensure you choose a unit that can efficiently dehumidify your space. Choosing a unit that is a little too small can be a big mistake as it will have to work harder and longer to get the job done. Large capacity dehumidifiers are capable of removing up to 100 pints of moisture from your home a day and can protect your home furnishings from mold, rust, moisture rings, cracking and warping.
- Chemical Absorbent Dehumidifiers - This type of unit utilizes a silica gel to trap moisture and remove it from the air.
- Basement Dehumidifiers - Utilizing a basement dehumidifier will require you to do some repair work in your basement first. Cracked walls and floors will need to be fixed, and condensation and mold will need to be removed. While some people will utilize portable units in their basement, specially designed basement dehumidifiers feature direct drain hoses that eliminate the need for constant reservoir and bucket dumps.
- Dehumidifying Ventilators - If your humidity trouble spots can be found in your attic, crawlspace or basement then this may be the option for you. Dehumidifying ventilators are a simple system where a sensor triggers the exhaust fan to pull the humid air out of the area.
Before you purchase a dehumidifier for your home, give Choice Heating and Air Conditioning a call. Let our HVAC experts evaluate your current home comfort system and see if adding a dehumidifier to your home can help!
Affordable Air Conditioner Installation in Wake Forest NC | Choice HVAC
Want to learn more about your AC options for your home? Call Choice Heating and Air Conditioning now! We’re the leading provider of air conditioner installation in Wake Forest NC. We have years of experience serving clients throughout the Triangle so you can be certain that you're getting the best service in the area. Call us today to schedule an appointment. We’re open six days a week so that we can fit into your schedule instead of the other way around!